RALEIGH - (AP) - North Carolina authorities say two people died as a result of Hurricane Sandy.
The Highway Patrol reports that a male driver ran into a downed tree at approximately 7:15 p.m. Monday in Surry County, located northwest of Winston Salem in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The man was declared dead at the scene. His name and age have not been released.
Also on Monday, the U.S. Coast Guard recovered the body of Claudene Christian, a 42-year-old crewman on the HMS Bounty, a replica 18th Century sailing ship that sank off the coast of North Carolina during the storm. The search is continuing at sea for Robin Walbridge, the ship's 63-year-old captain. Fourteen other crew members were rescued.
No other injuries due to the storm have been reported.
- 'Unprecedented' divide: Democrats fear recession, Republicans see boom
- Volunteers come out to help for Reef Habitat Project event
- Updated White House blocks news organizations from press briefing
- Rusted Root to headline stage at 11th annual PirateFest
- Small Ohio town counts on Trump to stave off plant closures