MORGANTON, BURKE COUNTY - Two children have died in a house fire in Burke County despite the efforts of an N.C. Highway Patrol trooper to rescue them.
Four adults, including the trooper, were injured in the fire in the Connelly Springs area of southeastern Burke County.
Authorities have not released the names of the victims, but a man at the scene identified the children as an 11-year-old boy and his 6-year-old sister. The man said they were his grandchildren.
Shane Bowman of the Hildebran Fire Department said the initial call indicated that people were trapped in the home. Firefighters found flames coming from the windows, doors and roof when they arrived.
Bowman said the trooper tried twice to enter the house but was driven back by flames and smoke.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend