MORGANTON, BURKE COUNTY - Two children have died in a house fire in Burke County despite the efforts of an N.C. Highway Patrol trooper to rescue them.
Four adults, including the trooper, were injured in the fire in the Connelly Springs area of southeastern Burke County.
Authorities have not released the names of the victims, but a man at the scene identified the children as an 11-year-old boy and his 6-year-old sister. The man said they were his grandchildren.
Shane Bowman of the Hildebran Fire Department said the initial call indicated that people were trapped in the home. Firefighters found flames coming from the windows, doors and roof when they arrived.
Bowman said the trooper tried twice to enter the house but was driven back by flames and smoke.
- Updated North Korean ministries plotted Kim's death, spies say
- Updated NAACP to hold news conferences announcing boycott
- Updated Bergdahl lawyers will ask U.S. Army court to dismiss case
- Trayvon Martin's death five years later
- NC Emergency Management Reps in Snow Hill to help with recovery applications