CHARLOTTE, MECKLENBURG COUNTY - An 11-year-old Charlotte boy has died after jumping into a creek to save his 7-year-old sister, who remains in critical condition.
According to ABC affiliate WSOC, hospital officials said 11-year-old Randez Brown passed away late Thursday night at Carolinas Medical Center.
Officials said Randez and his 7-year-old sister, Samiyah, were in a tunnel when the girl slipped and fell into a creek off Griffith Street in Charlotte. Parts of the creek are up to 10 feet deep, said emergency crews.
Randez then jumped into the creek to try and save his sister, officials said.
The Charlotte Fire Department told WSOC crews pulled both the brother and sister from the creek and rushed them to CMC Thursday night.
According to police, the sister remains in critical condition in the hospital as of Friday morning.
Police said a third person at the scene was also taken to the hospital, but that person's condition is unknown.
WSOC has learned that Randez was a fifth-grader at Sedgefield Elementary School in Charlotte. His sister is a second-grader at the school.
For more information, visit WSOC.
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms