LEXINGTON, N.C. - Authorities in Davidson County are investigating the death of an 11-year-old Lexington girl who was electrocuted in a pool.
The Dispatch of Lexington reports that Lauren Cecil died when an electric line snapped and fell into a parking lot at the swim club where she was practicing with her team. The line sent a high voltage current into the pool.
Two girls were able to jump out of the pool, but Lauren grabbed the pool ladder.
Eyewitnesses said attempts to rescue the girl Tuesday were hampered because electricity continued to shock lifeguards who were trying to pull Lauren from the water.
Davidson County Fire Marshall Brad Needham said investigators from several agencies are trying to determine how the electricity was diverted into the water after the power line snapped.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- New Pence: Trump is 'a CEO at work' on immigration
- A state politician voicing concerns over the Whitewater Center reopening following amoeba death