WILSON, N.C. - One person has been killed in a fire at a Wilson apartment building.
Wilson Fire and Rescue Services responded to a call on Queen Street just after 3 a.m. Saturday. Authorities say a neighbor called 911 after a smoke detector went off.
Officials say a cooking accident started the fire. Capt. Albert Austin says the person who died started to heat up grease on the stove, then lay down and fell asleep.
Heavy black and brown smoke filled the apartment when crews arrived. Authorities say the kitchen, living room and second floor bedroom were damaged.
The person's name hasn't been released. No other injuries were reported.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Former IU player alleges abuse at hands of Bob Knight
- Updated Drivers asked to be on watch as deer appear more on roadways
- Updated Man shot dead outside US Embassy in Kenya after knife attack
- Updated Woman wins $1 million trying to teach husband a lesson about lotteries
- Michael Phelps secretly got married