1 of 4 Marines killed in Pendleton accident once stationed at Lejeune

SAN DIEGO, Calif. - One of the four Marines killed in an accident at Camp Pendleton used to be stationed at Camp Lejeune.

SSgt. Eric W. Summers, 32, had once served in the 2nd EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) Company, under the 2nd Marine Logistics Group at Camp Lejeune, base officials told NewsChannel 12. There was no word on exactly when Summers was with the 2nd EOD Company.

Summers, of Poplar Bluff, Mo., had been in the Marine Corps for 13 years.

He was one of four Marines killed while clearing unexploded ordnance at Camp Pendleton in San Diego County, Calif. at 11 a.m. Wednesday. Investigators are looking into what caused the accident.

The Marine Corps have also released the identities of the other three Marines killed.

SSgt. Mathew R. Marsh, 28, of Long Beach, Calif. had been a Marine since 2003.

Sgt. Miguel Ortiz, 27, of Vista, had been serving with the  Marine Corps since 2006.

GySgt. J. Mullins, 31, of Bayou L'Ourse, La., was an 11-year veteran of the Marine Corps.

"We offer our heartfelt prayers and condolences to the families of the Marines lost [Wednesday] in this tragic accident. Our first priority is to provide the families with the support they need during this difficult time," said Brig. Gen. John W. Bullard, commanding general of Camp Pendleton.

In addition, one Navy Hospital Corpsman and two Marines near the accident suffered minor injuries, according to officials.

This incident comes less than eight months after another deadly accident at a military base involving Camp Lejeune Marines. On March 18, a 60mm mortar exploded at Hawthorne Army Depot in western Nevada, killing seven Camp Lejeune Marines and injuring eight other service members.

On February 2012, seven Marines were killed in a midair collision between helicopters along the Arizona-California border, said a military spokesman. Six of them were based at Camp Pendleton and the other was from Yuma, Ariz.

Most Popular