CRAVEN COUNTY - A woman was taken to a hospital after the car she was riding in hit a bear in Craven County Sunday night.
Robert Lewis said he and his mother were traveling from Greenville to Fort Barnwell. But when they were on Highway 118 near Riverside Road, a bear darted out. Lewis said he slammed on the brakes, but hit the bear head-on. Lewis estimated the bear to be between 600 to 700 pounds.
The bear ran off after the crash.
The Highway Patrol said they got the call of the crash at about 9:48 p.m. Sunday. Lewis' mother was suffering chest, neck and back pains, and was taken to CarolinaEast Medical Center, troopers said.
Investigators said it was most likely a black bear that was hit.
- Updated Trump's path to 270 runs through ... Maine?
- Updated WikiLeaks-released memo outlines Bill Clinton's lucrative speeches
- Updated Hillary Clinton to hold election night party under real glass ceiling
- Tequila, dance parties and Adele: Hillary Clinton finally lets loose
- Dems sue GOP over Trump's 'rigged' complaints