1 arrested, 1 wanted in Gordon's Golf, Ski & Snowboards break-in

1 arrested, 1 wanted in Gordon's Golf, Ski & Snowboards break-in

GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - A popular Greenville sporting goods store has been broken into once again, after it had already been the target of arson and a string of thefts over the summer.

According to police, 16-year-old Haseen Branch (left) and 21-year-old Debracey Barnes, both of Greenville, broke into a storage unit of Gordon's Golf, Ski & Snowboards at 207 E. Arlington Blvd. The suspects allegedly stole eight ski caps and a sweater.

Officers spotted Branch with two bicycles at about 2:45 a.m. Monday on Clifton Street, near the intersection of Evans Street and Arlington Boulevard, police said. Branch had a black book bag which contained the stolen ski caps and sweater with all the sales tags still attached, according to investigators. Also in the bag was a pair of bolt cutters.

Police arrested Branch and charged him with one count each of felony breaking and entering, larceny after breaking and entering, felony possession of burglary tools, and felony conspiracy.  Branch was jailed under a $50,000 secured bond.

Officers said they saw Branch's alleged co-conspirator, Barnes, as he was coming out of a Kangaroo store at the intersection of Evans Street and Arlington Boulevard. But the suspect ran across Arlington Boulevard towards Commerce Street and is still at large. Barnes is a repeat offender, investigators said. Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to call Greenville Police at 252-329-4315.

Monday morning's break-in is the latest in a string of setbacks for Gordon's Golf, Ski & Snowboards.

"We've been working every day for a while and we're about to get back, well not to full speed but we're close," Gordon said.

 On April 25, someone set the business on fire, destroying most of the 6,952-square-foot store, police said. The act was caught on surveillance video.

The business has since been remodeled and re-opened. Owners Gordon and Pell Fulp said they started moving merchandise back into the store two weeks ago.

Gordon said Monday night's break-in is the third break-in they've had this year.

"We were real pleased they were able to do that because who knows maybe they were connected to the fire," Gordon said.

At last check, no arrest had been made in the arson investigation.

Most Popular