SUNSET BEACH & OCEAN ISLE BEACH, BRUNSWICK COUNTY - Officials say a North Carolina judge and the woman he tried to rescue both drowned off Sunset Beach. A third person also drowned off Ocean Isle Beach, and authorities say rip currents are to blame for all three deaths.
Authorities say 54-year-old Mitchell McLean died Wednesday while trying to help a husband and wife struggling in the water. McLean was the chief District Court judge for Wilkes, Ashe, Alleghany and Yadkin counties.
Also killed was 55-year-old Mary Anne Galway of Waxhaw. Authorities say her husband, Edward John Galway III, was treated at a hospital and released.
At Ocean Isle Beach, a 72-year-old Florida man drowned. Officials identified the man as William Nicolaro of Palm Harbor, Fla.
Nicolaro's son made it to shore and was taken to the hospital for treatment.
- Updated WCTI's Anna Bulszewicz announces she's leaving the anchor desk
- Updated Pence tries for damage control abroad but allies still wary
- Updated Investigation underway after teen shot in New Bern
- Updated Border Patrol shooting of Mexican goes to Supreme Court
- Updated Israeli soldier sentenced in Palestinian killing