RALEIGH - (AP) - Republican Pat McCrory says North Carolina politics have reached a new low after a video released by Democratic gubernatorial rival Walter Dalton accuses the former Charlotte mayor of being insensitive to black residents.
McCrory told The Associated Press in an interview Thursday that Dalton should be "shameful" for approving such a video, which was emailed to Dalton supporters, It may turn into a television ad by the campaign's end.
The video includes several black speakers. Former state civil rights group president Skip Alston accuses McCrory of not understanding the African American experience in North Carolina. The voices refer indirectly to McCrory's support for bills requiring photo identification to vote and cuts to education.
Dalton and his allies have spent this week attempting to raise questions about McCrory and race.
- Updated Ryan Lochte to endorse crime prevention device
- New Beaufort County deputies arrest registered sex offender living in Chocowinity
- Updated Fire chief killed in workers' bus crash remembered as 'amazing'
- ECU professor predicts presidential election results
- Local pharmacist recommends ways to save on EpiPens